The Friends of the Lumpkin County Library needs some new Friends. Won’t you show your support for the Lumpkin Library by becoming an official Friend of the library?
Lumpkin Friends is a non-profit group with the mission of supporting, promoting, and advocating for Lumpkin County Library. The Friends provides volunteers for library activities and financial support where needed.
Here’s just a sample of what the Lumpkin Friends chapter is doing and has done this year:
- Fund the Lumpkin Library’s Vacation Reading Program for hundreds of children, teens and adults
- Sponsor a night with world renown author Terry Kay
- Purchase book shelves and seating for the children’s reading area
- Advocate for additional operation funding for the library
- Host the Thank You for Giving breakfast in November for staff and volunteers
- Sponsor the library’s October Shred Day
- Sponsor Nu2U, a monthly used book sale
- Raise money with our Year of Chocolate fundraiser
- Repurposed and renovated a downstairs public meeting room
Friends of the Library News
A Year of Chocolate Could Be Yours
A whole year of chocolate from Dahlonega’s world-famous Fudge Factory could be yours if you are the grand prize winner of the Friends of the Lumpkin County Library Year of Chocolate fundraising raffle on February 7, at Kaya Vineyards and Winery.
The Friends are also giving away a pound of Fudge Factory candy each to two runner-ups. The winning names will be drawn at the Dahlonega-Lumpkin Chamber of Commerce Business After Hours, which starts at 5:30 p.m. at the winery. Winners do not need to be present at the drawing.
Raffle tickets cost $5 for one ticket or $10 for four. Tickets are available at The Fudge Factory, the Lumpkin County Library and from the Friends’ Board of Directors – Diane Bates, Karoline deJarnette, Dr. Robert Fuller, Pat Laboa, Larry Mannis, Nan Peters, Marlena Pierce, Ken Smoke, and Eddie Wayne.
With a matching $1,000 grant from the Modern Woodmen of America, and the generous support of The Dahlonega Fudge Factory, the Friends plan to raise enough money for this year’s raffle to fund the library’s 2017 Summer Reading Program.
In 2016, the Lumpkin Friends’ group raised $3,500 for the summer program attended by more than 1,000 children, teens and adults. Friends’ funds purchased supplies, paid speaker fees, purchased prizes, and financed miscellaneous expenses.
For more information about the raffle or tickets, please email email@example.com or call 678.438.3674.
Become a Friend
Becoming a Lumpkin Library Friend is easy! Just complete our downloadable Membership Application and mail or deliver it to the Lumpkin County Library, 342 Courthouse Hill Street, Dahlonega, 30533.
To learn more about the Lumpkin Friends organization:
- Ask a library staff member at the Lumpkin County Library circulation desk,
- Email the Friends at firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Call Diane Bates at 706-265-9072.