Only available onsite at the Dawson County Library
Established in 1845, NEHGS is the nation’s leading comprehensive resource for family history research and the largest Society of its kind in the world.
Only available onsite at the Dawson or Lumpkin County Libraries
Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing the information found in family trees, historical records, genetics and health history to help people gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Watch tutorial!
The Digital Library of Georgia is a gateway to Georgia’s history and culture found in digitized books, manuscripts, photographs, government documents, newspapers, maps, audio, video, and other resources.
This database provides searchable images of Dawson County newspapers from 1879 – 2012.
FamilySearch is a nonprofit family history organization dedicated to connecting families across generations.
GALILEO stands for GeorgiA LIbrary LEarning Online, an initiative of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. GALILEO is an online library portal to authoritative, subscription-only information that isn’t available through free search engines or Web directories. Participating institutions may access over 100 databases indexing thousands of periodicals and scholarly journals. Over 10,000 journal titles are provided in full-text. Other resources include encyclopedias, business directories, and government publications.
HeritageQuest Online offers a collection of genealogical and historical sources with coverage dating back to the 1700s. It offers primary sources, local and family histories, and finding aids. HeritageQuest is one of the many databases available through GALILEO.
- Over 158 million digitized images, including US and UK Censuses
- Over 300 million names from birth, marriage and death records
- Over 75 million names from military records
- Over 100 million pages of newspapers, 1739 to present
- One of world’s largest historical map collections with 1.5 million maps
- More than 8,000 high school, college and military yearbooks
- More than 30 million tombstone photos
If you need any assistance with the collection or help researching your family history feel free to contact one of our Information Specialists:
Dawson County Library
- Katie Horrell 706-344-3690 ext. 26 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lumpkin County Library
- Agnes Gore, 706-864-3668 ext. 230 or email@example.com