THE LUMPKIN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY IS A VITAL INSTITUTION FOR OUR COMMUNITY. You agree? The Friends of Lumpkin County Library do! Our public library is more than just books. It’s a community learning center, a place to go to trace your family history, share with your book club or community organization. It’s a place to go for entertainment where you can check out the latest novels, games, or DVDs, search for a job, and more! A public library is an essential organ in a living, engaged community; a source of unbiased and open access to knowledge, entertainment, and enlightenment. Our Library is a place to have fun and learn! A library is a neighborhood to all citizens.
Our Library complements and enhances education, historic, and cultural opportunities available to our local community.
WE NEED YOUR HELP. The Friends of Lumpkin County Library needs some new Friends and it presents YOU with opportunities to make a difference! You can participate by becoming a General Member of the Friends and paying annual dues, by making a monetary donation, or by actively serving as a Library volunteer, or by serving as a member of the Friends Board of Directors. Won’t you show your support for our local library by joining us?
The Friends Board is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit. Our mission is supporting, promoting, and advocating for the Lumpkin County Library. We support activities and participation of the community. Programs of the Friends are planned and carried out in consultation with the Library Director. The Friends raise money through General Membership dues, monetary donations, events, and an annual fundraiser. ALL monies raised go to support the Library. We are 100% volunteer.
Here is just a sample of what the Lumpkin’s Friends do:
- Advocated for a new Library facility.
- Raised $3,500 with our annual Year of Chocolate fundraiser to support the Summer Reading Program.
- Planning the Grand Opening Celebration for the new Library facility.
- Sponsored genealogy and other speakers, programs, and author events at the library.
- Financially supported the Library for the purchase of items such as a new digital camera, beanbag chairs for the Children’s Area, and other items.
- Hosted the ‘Thanks for Giving’ breakfast in November to honor staff and volunteers.
- Organized the Lumpkin County Centennial Celebration.
- Raised community awareness of the many people the library serves – it’s not just a place to store books!
Friends of the Library Board of Directors
The Friends has a Board of nine Directors. They are all volunteers who actively support the Library by coordinating with the Library Director and staff to organize events and disperse money raised through General Membership dues, donations, and fundraiser events. They meet quarterly in January, April, July, and October. The Friends are always in need of people to actively serve on the Board and be advocates for the Library. We would LOVE to work with you!
So, come join us to be a part of something wonderful and important in Lumpkin County…OUR LIBRARY! Become a member by donating your time, cash, or both! Applications are available at the library’s front desk. If you would like more information about serving on the Board of Directors, please contact Ken Smoke, Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How You Can Help
- Join the Friends of Lumpkin County Library. Yearly General Membership fees are: $5 for students, $15 for individuals, $25 for families, $100 for businesses. A $1,000 Lifetime Membership is also available. You can also join by pledging your time as a volunteer (minimum 10 hours. Contact Library Branch Manager).
For more information about the Friends, visit us at Facebook/Friends of Lumpkin Library.
- Support our projects. We fund a flagship project each year as well as support on going needs of the library as they arise.
- Attend a meeting. The Friends Board of Directors meet once per quarter.
- Donate. We are a 100% volunteer non-profit. ALL monies raised support the library.
- Volunteer. Library volunteers shelve books, assist staff, read children’s stories, and more.
- Serve on the Board of Directors. A 9 member Board of Directors coordinates with the Library Director and staff to raise money, organize events and fund small projects needed by the Library. Contact Chair, Ken Smoke (email@example.com) for more details.
- Speak up. Tell others, including county leaders, about the importance of a public library in Lumpkin County.
- Use the library. Discover the library of the 21st century. You’ll find so much more there than just stacks of books.
Become a Friend
Becoming a Lumpkin Library Friend is easy! Just complete our downloadable Membership Application and mail or deliver it to the Lumpkin County Library, 56 Mechanicsville Rd., Dahlonega, 30533.
To learn more about the Lumpkin Friends organization: Ask a library staff member at the Lumpkin County Library circulation desk,
Email the Friends at, firstname.lastname@example.org